Peter Magubane photography exhibition
Peter Magubane is one of South Africa’s most distinguished photojournalists. Born in Johannesburg in 1932, Magubane embarked on a career in photography in the early 1950s; a line of work that led him into the heart of the anti-apartheid struggle, where he was shot, banned and held in solitary confinement.
Magubane has published some 17 photography books, including Nelson Mandela: Man of Destiny. llustrated by Magubane and with a foreword by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the publication shares images and snapshots depicting the life of Nelson Mandela.
The Peter Magubane Exhibition, which is currently in storage at the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory, comprises a collection of 104 photographs of Mr Mandela captured by Magubane during his time as Madiba’s official photographer.
Former exhibition installations across the country include:
- 26 June 2012 at Gallagher Estate, Midrand, at the ANC Policy National Conference
- 25-28 June 2012 at Gallagher Estate, Midrand, at the COSATU National Conference
- 17-18 July 2012 at Nelson Mandela Museum, at the Legacies and The State of Archives Colloquium
- 31 October-02 November 2012 at the East London Convention Centre National Heritage Council, at the Archives in the Deepening of Democracy Conference
- 16-21 December 2012 at the University of Free State, at the ANC National Conference